As the official hospitality sponsor of MasterChef South Africa, we’re taking part in Mystery Box Dinners happening at selected restaurants across the group (psssst! You could stand a chance to win luxurious accommodation for two at Beverly Hills for 5 nights!). I’ve managed to get my hands on some of the recipes that’ll be used across the country and I know that some of you, like me, want to be adventurous in the kitchen.
This week’s recipe is packed with flavour, I present to you: Grilled Beef Fillet Wrapped In Smoked Ostrich
- 200g beef fillet
- 40g smoked ostrich
- 6 x new potatoes
- 50g chorizo sausage
- 6 x fresh asparagus
- 30g wild mushrooms
- 100ml cream
- 25ml brandy
- 1 x onion
- 100ml olive oil
- 10g coarse salt
- 5g crushed garlic
- 5ml wholegrain mustard
- 15g butter
- fine salt
- black pepper
- Clean & boil the new potatoes in hot water until a knife easily goes in.
- Remove and cool
- Clean the fillet in to a round tube like portion.
- Wrap the smoked ostrich around the fillet and secure with a toothpick where the 2 ends meet.
- Cut the chorizo sausage in cubes.
- Clean the mushrooms and finely chop an onion and some crushed garlic.
- Clean the asparagus.
Cooking & Plating:
- Heat some olive oil in a medium size pan and sauté the onion, and garlic with the chopped chorizo.
- Add in the baby potatoes and crush with the back of the spoon mixing it all together.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Seal the beef fillet in a hot pan and allow cooking until Medium rare.
- Allow to rest
- In the beef pan add in some chopped onion, garlic and sauté, add in wild mushrooms and cook until al dente.
- Add in the brandy and allow to reduce, then add the cream.
- Allow to slowly thicken over medium heat.
- Season with1tsp wholegrain mustard, black pepper and salt.
- Sauté the asparagus in some butter and season.
- Place the potato mix in a cutter in the centre of the plate.
- Remove the tooth picks from the beef and place on top of the potato.
- Place the asparagus stems against the beef fillet.
- Spoon the mushroom sauce around the beef and garnish with some fresh herbs.
- Serve immediately & enjoy!
Before I run away, remember that The Editor is still running a great competition where you can stand a chance to win spot prizes just for commenting on our of the blog posts. Click here to read more.