As the official hospitality sponsor of MasterChef South Africa, we’re taking part in Mystery Box Dinners happening at selected restaurants across the group (psssst! You could stand a chance to win luxurious accommodation for two at Beverly Hills for 5 nights!). I’ve managed to get my hands on some of the recipes that’ll be used across the country and I know that some of you, like me, want to be adventurous in the kitchen.
This week’s recipe is something a bit different. Mystery Box Recipe: Rooibos Smoked Salmon.
- 220 g salmon
- 1/4 cup wood chips
- 2 x rooibos tea bags
- 3 x medium potatoes
- 20 g baby spinach
- 50 g brown sugar
- 1 x whole lemon
- 30 m olive oil
- coarse salt
- fine salt
- black pepper
- Peel the potatoes and boil in hot salted water until soft.
- Drain the potatoes and place back on the hot plate.
- Mash with a potato masher until smooth and season with some cream, butter and salt and pepper.
- Mix the sugar, wood chips and the contents of the tea bags together.
- Place in an oven proof dish with a wire rack over it.
- Place the salmon on the rack, skin side up, season and cover with tin foil.
- Place on a hot oven for aprox.10 min. until medium rare.
- Clean the baby spinach leaves.
- Remove the rind from the lemon and add the juice to the rind.
Cooking & Plating:
- In small pan add the butter, lemon rind & lemon juice, salt and pepper and melt gently.
- Place a spoon of creamed potato in the middle of the plate,
- Add the salmon to the side skin side on the potato.
- Place baby spinach in a bowl, drizzle some olive oil, salt and pepper over and mix through.
- Place some spinach on the salmon.
- Spoon the butter over the spinach on the fish and round the plate.
- Serve and enjoy