Not even rain can dampen Durban’s December buzz!
How to get in on Durban’s December buzz if you’re not on the beach
The ravers are here, the beaches are busy, the restaurants are vibey, but the weather isn’t playing along. This is something that only seems to happen in the capital of vests, baggies and flip-flops over the Christmas period. So… if you’re from out of town and it rains on your parade, you’ll probably be left wondering what you can do. Let’s face it, the beach can be a drag in the drizzle. Don’t stress – here are a few ideas from a seasoned Durbanite:
- Catch a movie: December holidays are a perfect time to catch some of the latest international Bollywood and Hollywood blockbuster movies at the SUNCOAST CineCentre. December’s line-up includes Star Wars: The Last Jedi, Justice League, Rangreza and A Bad Mom’s Christmas, to name a few.
- Head for the Ice Rink: Nothing brings about a bucket of laughs and soaking jeans (if you are a newbie) like skating on ice at the Durban Ice Arena. It’s a perfect family outing and will definitely make for light-hearted banter around the table on Christmas Day.
- Arcade Fun: What more do you need to keep both you and the kids busy for hours than the arcade entertainment and prizes you can win at The Magic Company at SUNCOAST? Packed with exciting and popular games, such as Fast & Furious, super bikes, dance revolution and so much more, the Arcade is perfect for indoor holiday fun.
- Hit the Museum: Why not get familiar with the city you spend your holidays in? We have a whole host of museums to keep you busy, all featuring something that is unique to the city. Check out popular museums such as the KwaMuhle Museum, the Port Natal Maritime Museum, the Phansi Museum, the Old House and the Durban Natural Science Museum.
Perhaps a break from the beach can allow for some creative time in the kitchen, if you have access to one. One of my all-time favourites is homemade ice-cream, perfect for those hot summer days when the rain has gone! Making a refreshing lemon sundae is not as difficult as you would think, here’s how:
- Whipped cream
- Crumble or crushed biscuits
- Vanilla ice-cream
LEMON TOPPING INGRIEDIENTS
- 250ml sugar
- 5ml cornflour
- 2 eggs
- 125ml lemon juice
- 30ml unsalted butter
- In a saucepan (off the heat) combine the sugar and cornflour.
- Place saucepan on the heat (medium) add in the eggs, lemon juice and butter, whisking until smooth, then slowly bring it to the boil while stirring constantly with a whisk.
- After a few minutes (8 – 10) pour into a bowl and let it cool. Cover or refrigerate until chilled.
- In a cocktail or martini glass, add two scoops of ice-cream, then drizzle with lemon topping.
- Using a teaspoon, add a dollop of whipped cream and sprinkle the crumble or crushed biscuits on top. Find a recliner or couch, sit back and enjoy.
If you are more of a gamer, then you will be glad to know that we have an exciting gaming promotion for our SUNCOAST Gold cardholders. Over R250 000 in cash is up for grabs, with Race 2 Rewards for Gold cardholders. You can get in on the game by using your SUNCOAST Rewards card to play your favourite Slots and Tables. If you don’t have a Suncoast Rewards card yet, sign up for one – it’s easy and free. What’s more is you will be able to use it at other Tsogo Sun casinos and entertainment destinations. This means you can enjoy Rewards such as discounts on movies, events, dining, hotel stays and more!
For more information on our exciting offers and endless entertainment outlets, visit suncoastcasino.co.za.