Kenneth Ngubane is the executive chef at SunSquare Montecasino. His Sundays are meant for family time with his 21-year old daughter Mbali, and experimenting in the kitchen. A favourite for Kenneth is salmon, and this dish is something he usually prepares for family occasions.
Grilled salmon with veg and orange syrup
- Zest and juice of an orange
- 5ml (1 tsp) brown sugar
- 2 small kumquats, sliced
- 30ml (2 tbsp) butter
- an onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 30ml (2 tbsp) frozen peas
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 large potato, peeled and sliced
- 1 baby brinjal, halved
- Olive oil
- 1 spring onion
- 3 small beetroot, peeled and sliced
- 3-4 slices chorizo sausage
- 1 fillet of Norwegian salmon
- Heat the orange juice and sugar in a saucepan until syrupy.
- Add zest and kumquats and set aside.
- Heat 15ml (1 tbsp) butter in a pan and fry the onion and garlic and peas for 5 minutes.
- Season and purée in a blender.
- Heat another 15ml (1 tbsp) butter and fry the potato over low heat until cooked. Season.
- Brush the brinjal halves with oil and grill until tender.
- Blanch the spring onion in boiling water and season.
- Boil the beetroot till cooked, drain and brush with extra butter.
- Grill the chorizo till crispy.
- Grill the salmon to your liking.
- Heat up all the elements and arrange on a plate.
- Top with the salmon and warmed orange syrup.
Fancy this dish? You may like what other dishes our chefs make at home too! View the five recipes in this series What our chefs eat at home here.