Blending his favourite flavours with Durban influencers, Shaun Munro is the Executive Chef at Southern Sun Elangeni & Maharani in KwaZulu-Natal. Of his slow-cocked lamb cutlets recipe he says: “This is a Munro family recipe that is really easy to put together — and forget about — as everything cooks together in one pot in the oven. Sunday is our family day and I usually make this before we head off to the beach, and come back and serve it with creamy mashed potato or saffron-infused couscous.”
Slow-cooked lamb cutlets
- 8 lamb cutlets, excess fat removed
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 500ml (2 cups) quality tomato ketchup
- 1 ripe fresh tomato, grated
- 2 onions, grated
- 10ml (2 tsp) crushed garlic
- 125ml ( cup) rose wine
- 125ml ( cup) brown vinegar
- 60ml ( cup) runny honey
- 60ml ( cup) olive oil
- 15ml (1 tbsp) Worcestershire sauce
- Bunch of fresh mint, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 160°C.
- Season the cutlets and brown in a hot griddle pan on both sides.
- Place in a casserole dish with a lid.
- Combine all the remaining ingredients and pour over the cutlets, stirring to coat.
- Cover with foil and lid and roast for 90 minutes.
- Remove lid and foil and roast for a further 30 minutes, allowing sauce to reduce slightly.
- Remove from oven, pour off excess oil and serve with mash, couscous, polenta or pasta
Fancy this dish? You may like what other dishes our chefs make at home too! View the five recipes in this series What our chefs eat at home here.